Slovakia introduces the backup of PET bottles and cans in 2022
Slovakia becomes the first country in Central Europe to introduce the backup of plastic bottles and cans. With effect from 1 January 2022, the Act on the Deposit on Disposable Packaging for Beverages enters into force in Slovak Republic.
If you separated used plastic bottles into yellow containers, you did the right thing. However, from 1 January 2022, the system changes. Consumers will return empty PET bottles and cans to stores, to reverse vending machines. That is the start of the recycling process of plastic bottles. This method is inspired by the glass returnable bottles system.
The deposit will apply to all beverages in the disposable packaging
- These include plastic bottles (PET, HDPE, PP) and cans (aluminum, iron) with a volume of 0.1 to 3 liters inclusive.
- Plastic and metal containers from milk and milk drinks, syrups and alcoholic beverages with an alcohol content of more than 15% will not be backed up.
- The deposit will be uniform: € 0.15 per 1 PET bottle or can
- Until June 30, 2022, according to the valid legislation, it is possible to sell stocks of beverages in PET bottles and cans in non-returnable packaging. These products are not subject to a deposit.
- If no deposit has been paid for the bottle, it must be compressed and discarded into a yellow container for separate collection.
- will be marked with a backup symbol ("Z" in the recycling arrows), the text "BACKED UP" and a special barcode.
- is possible to return in all stores with a sales area over 300 m2 (Tesco, Lidl, Kaufland, etc.). In stores with a smaller area, the reverse vending machine is voluntary.
- must be returned to the collection point uncompressed, together with the lid. Care must be taken to ensure that PET bottles and cans have a legible barcode.
- Lyreco has a legal obligation to sell PET bottles and cans with a deposit (stated in the basket and on the invoice). Lyreco does not have a sales area of at least 300m2, therefore we are not obliged to and do not collect empty PET bottles and cans back from our customers. The deposit manager has so far only included stores with a sales area of over 300m2 in the collection scheme.
Frequently asked questions
The deposit will apply to all beverage containers containing more than 80% water, which are packed in plastic bottles or cans with a volume of 0.1 to 3 liters. Plastic and metal containers from milk and milk drinks, syrups and alcoholic beverages with an alcohol content of more than 15% will not be backed up.
According to the ministry's analyses, one billion plastic bottles and approximately 350 million beverage cans are launched on the Slovak market each year.
No. The backed-up packaging should be returned to the collection point uncompressed, together with the lid. The barcode must be readable and undamaged.
There is no time limit for returnable packaging.
No. For the system to work, it is necessary that only bottles marked with the backup symbol (Z in the recycling arrows) and the text ``backed up`` are returned. That is, PET bottles and cans for which a deposit has already been paid.
If no deposit has been paid for the bottle, it must be placed in a yellow container for separate collection.
From 1 January 2022, Lyreco will sell stocks of beverages in non-returnable PET bottles and cans and, depending on the current state of the warehouse, will gradually switch to the sale of drinks in backed-up disposable packaging.
A deposit of € 0.15 / piece of PET bottle or can will be charged for such drinks. The amount of the deposit will be displayed in our Lyreco e-shop after adding the product to the cart
(in the case of the sale of water in a package of 6 pieces, the amount of the deposit for the package, ie 6 pieces) shall be stated.
The update of individual products (non-returnable / returnable backup packaging) will be available on the website.